Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Flytec Rally (Day 2)

After spending an evening at a familiar field, Quest Air, we loaded up and headed to the northwest to Williston Florida.  The distance was shorter than yesterday's at 72 miles (105 km), but I was worried about the cross wind, high cirrus, and a sea breeze.  It turned out that each concern was justified.

I was high at the 3rd start gate, but was at the northeast section instead of on the course line to the northwest.  I headed out by myself and got low after my first glide.  Unlike yesterday I found a sweet 600 fpm (3 m/s) climb after a short time groveling and was back on course.  I hooked up with Eric, Lucas, and Patrick as we approached Ocala.  It was obvious that the sea breeze was well inland and already east of goal.  Instead of diving into the clear, I decided, along with the rest of the gang, to fly further north to some clouds and hope to get high before diving in.  We played yo-yo a couple times before diving forward.

I had a better line then Eric and Lucas, but turned back to land in a awesome field at an upscale horse farm.  I was busy checking for horses and didn't see either of them until I was turning from my downwind leg to the base leg.  Yikes!  (They came in on a straight glide.)  We worked it out nicely and landed within a minute of each other.

A well-dressed woman in a Mercedes pulled up through the electric gate and told us we couldn't be there.  I did my best to apologize and avoided a "scene".




No one made goal, but we all manage to find a spot that served both beer and ice cream so everyone was happy.  I also spent my first night inside in over a month last night at a motel.


Flights: 1, Time: 3:24, Distance: 56 miles

No comments: