Saturday, May 02, 2009

Florida Ridge (Day 7)

Although the start time was pushed back 30 minutes a large group of pilots rushed to the staging area even before the cones marking the launch line were setup up.  The end result was that I was near the end of the staging line and that would have a huge affect on my outcome for the day.

The sky was much bluer and the wind much lighter.  Aside from the staging rush, the pace relaxed a bit.

I stepped away from the staging area for a few minutes only to return and find out the task had been changed.  I didn't notice the task was now longer so I didn't rush to get into line before everyone else jumped in.  I ended up near the end of the launch line and was one of the last out of the field.
Even with the late start, a sweet tow from Rhett had me floating up where I could see the gaggle sitting at the start circle.  I probably could have reached the gaggle and maybe even been in a reasonable position at the first start but decided to wait for another group to form.  I waited 30 minutes to hook up with Patrick, but had to leave with a couple other stragglers.
Once we struggled with the lake breeze on the second leg, I knew it would be very difficult to even complete the course.  Lucas, Eric, and I did our best to make it through the blue choppy area.  Patrick caught up with us at the second turn point and we flew together for the rest of the flight.
The third leg was easy and the forth leg reasonable.  As Patrick and I were low searching for lift, by harness came unzipped from the top to my stomach.  Not wanting to squirt out of my harness, I wrapped my tow bridal around the shoulder straps but couldn't manage to tie a knot.  So I stuck the loose end in my mouth when I went on glide to keep to harness closed.
By the time we reached the last turn point, the day was shutting down.  I managed one weak climb and did a long technical glide over Arcadia to land at the airport 16 miles (25 km) short of the 106 mile (170 km) task.
Moments after I landed a fire truck and rescue vehicle pulled up.  For a moment I feared they were called out for me, but it turned out someone had a bad day when he drove his motorcycle into a fence.  One of the squad came over to warn me a helicopter was on the way and wanted to know if I would be OK with my glider.  I thanked him for his concern and we chatted a few minutes before the helicopter arrived.  A few minutes later the ambulance showed up.  I hope the patient's day improved from that point on.
Bill, Patrick, and Steve arrived just as I finished packing and we headed back to the Florida Ridge for drinks, pizza, and the awards ceremony.  The full results are available online.  Later we spent some time around the fire pit before wondering off into the dark to tents.
Although the first few days were blown out, we had a lot of good flying during this meet.  The climbs were stronger and taller than it has been in last years due to the drought.  It was fun racing along playing "connect the dots" with scenic pastures and orange groves far below.
Flights: 1, Time: 4:20, Distance: 90 miles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Job well done Tom - off to the Rally ?

Rob