Thursday, April 30, 2009

Florida Ridge (Day 6)

Whew.  I'm tired tonight after another great day of crosswind flying.  The cummies showed up early this morning and continued through sunset.  The east wind continued and was stronger than forecasted but not as strong as previous days.  The task similar to yesterday's but included a couple more turn-points.




My tow was downright nasty.  It started moments after I lifted off the cart until I was over 1000 feet (300 m) high.  However the second half of the tow was OK and I was dropped into a good climb.  I hooked up with 3 of the American team (Dustin, Jeff S, and OB).  I left with a good group of pilots but soon was left behind with Johnny and Charles.  I caught up with Jeff S and OB, but when OB veered upwind of course line Jeff and I continued on.  I joined Campbell in a climb short of the 2nd turn point and went on a long glide almost to the ground.  Both Jeff and I struggled but eventually managed to escape.  However the pilots from the next clock caught me when I struggled back upwind in a blue hole.

Carl and Derrick were two of the pilots that caught me and I flew with them into goal.  We had a sweet elevator ride to the top floor near the last turn point that almost gave me goal.  I botched the setup on my flight computer so I'll have to see if I actually pierced the goal cylinder when I download my track log tomorrow morning.



Now its time to feed the rechargeable batteries, air out the smelly flying clothes, and get some rest for another good day tomorrow.

Our little "pick up" team called "Big and Tall" was one man short today as Paul drove home to have his elbow checked out.  (He banged up his elbow during his landing yesterday.)

Flights: 1, Time: 3:34, Distance: 90 miles

No comments: