Sunday, April 19, 2009

Broken Promises

Today dawned with great promise; a moderate south-southeast wind, cummies, good lift, and no overdevelopment.  Pilots were scurrying about checking airspace maps, swapping cellphone numbers, arranging rides, and rigging gliders.  However a thick band of cirrus drifted in and smothered thermal development and our hopes.  Some pilots launched around 2:00 PM.  Eric P managed to get up and away while most landed after relatively short flights.

Jason, Marco, Patrick, and I launched after lunch around 4:15 PM.  Patrick and I both needed to see people at Quest Air, so we declared that as our goal.  We knew the flight would be tough with the high cirrus and the late time.  However, after sinking down to 1200 feet (365 m) I managed to climb up to everyone else and we left.  We were working light lift as we drifted away from Wallaby Ranch.  I managed to find some consistent but weak lift that allowed me to float above the other pilots.  I took off on a direct line while Jason headed north along Route 27 and Marco headed back home.  Although I thought Jason would have an easier time initially, he didn't find much lift and landed near the Route 27 and Route 192 intersection.

Patrick and I slowly worked our way to the northwest turning in any scrap of lift.  My flight computer said I had goal several times, but I knew better.  Patrick and I were working a collection of small bubbles about 8 miles out that I thought might get us in.  However just as things started to look good, the climb collapsed and Patrick headed west while I stayed on course line.  I bounced through several micro-thermals but picked a "tiny" pasture about 2 miles (3.2 km) out as my LZ.


As I was breaking down, some young cattle decided to check out my glider.  I spent most of my time keeping them away from the glider.  Every time I would go to one side of the glider, they would sneak in for lick on the other side.  They were persistent but quite docile.  Several times they had me completely surrounded.  I finally managed to get the glider packed and said goodbye to my new friends.


Bill, Kathy, Jason, and Patrick showed up just a short time after I finished and we drove the rest of the way to goal.

(I also took a sled ride in the morning to measure some things on my new glider.  It was sweet flying 68 mph (109 km) in the glassy smooth air.)

Flights: 2, Airtime: 2:10, Distance: 18 miles

No comments: