Thursday, April 30, 2009

Florida Ridge (Day 5)

A wafting blanket of fog drifted across the field as I rigged by glider for an early morning check-out flight.


Although we were concerned with a strong east wind, the safety committee didn't see anything scary.  The task committee called a long 86 mile (139 km) cross-wind task to the northwest with a single turn point to the north of LaBelle.  We staged our gliders for an early launch on the north side of the field, but ended moving every glide to the center of the field as the winds shifted around.  The usual chaos erupted however things were back in order after a few minutes.


Rhett dropped me off in a sweet climb that allowed me to stow my tow line while still floating towards cloud base.  I hooked up with Paul near the edge of the start circle and we flew most of the flight together.  It wasn't a typical Florida day.  The lift was a bit rough at times due to the dry breezy conditions.  Still it was a great day to be flying as climbs were plentiful and strong and marked with clouds at 7000 foot (2100 m).

Phil joined us past the first turn point and shared climbs under aerial vacuum cleaners.  Zak and Jeff S joined the group around 25 miles (40 km) out from goal.  We fanned out on glide and I was the last to make it to a climb and missed it.  I watched the group glide away as I was slowly sinking to the farmland below.  I found a weak climb over some farm buildings and avoided landing.  Once I had some maneuvering room, I continued on only to find those same pilots now struggling 1500 feet (450 m) below me.  I thought all of them were doomed, but Jeff and Paul managed to climb out.  I continued on downwind and fought with a nasty thermal as I was circling a LZ.  After some intense negotiations I ended up with a climb and continued on (slowly) to goal.


The goal field was a small pasture surrounded by fence and filled with trees, shrubs, and a single post in the middle.  Of course I didn't see the single post until I was on final about to flare on it.  I whipped up a "hail Mary" flare and stopped short of the post.  Paul came in later and zoomed up over the post and ended up breaking a down tube as he stalled on the other side.

There were a lot of tired pilots (and drivers) at goal.  The exact count will be available tomorrow when the scores are released at the official site.

Flights: 2, Time: 3:45 hours, Distance: 86 miles

No comments: