Friday, April 17, 2009

Out and Back

  A week ago Thursday Dennis, Tom N, and I decided on an out-and-back to Groveland (42 miles, 67 km).  It would be downwind on the way out and upwind on the way home.  It was predicted to be blue, but some clouds formed when the thermals busted through a low inversion later in the day.

  My first tow was exciting as the weak link broke as I came out of the cart.  Although the prop wash banged around the glider I managed a stand-up landing to the crowd's, any my, delight.  The second tow was uneventful and I was soon leaving the ranch with Dennis.  We took our time, jumping from hot spot to hot spot.  Tom, who was out in front, reported a low save which encouraged Dennis and I cherish our precious altitude.


  Dennis found a strong climb just short of the airfield and snagged the turn point a minute or so before me. Dennis continued to the west northwest while I headed down the runway to the north towards Tom who was climbing under the first cloud I saw during the day.  I stumbled unto a sweet 600 fpm climb at the end of the runway that Dennis was unable to get to in time.  Dennis landed about the time Tom flew in to join my tall climb.

  I was surprised at how difficult it was making progress against the headwind on the way back.  For example, I glided over the Seminole Gliderport, drifted back over it while climbing, and then glided back over it again after topping out.  I flew with two immature bald eagles and one unhappy hawk on the return trip.  The hawk came in close, flipped over in front of me with talons fully exposed, and screeching the entire time.  The eagles on the other hand came in close and flew in perfect formation before moving on.

  Persistence paid off and I eventually joined Tom back at the ranch.

Flights: 1.5, Time: 4:00, Distance: 42 miles

No comments: