Saturday, April 08, 2006

Florida Ridge - Day One


The first day of the nationals at the Florida Ridge started windy. Rick towed a tandem up and they parked right over my tent as the towed through the morning gradient. Many people thought the day would be cancelled, especially since the 3 tugs from Quest would have to fight a stiff head wind all the way south. However, a 75 mile task to the north east was called at the morning meeting and awhile later I heard the tugs approaching the field. Davis warned everyone that the lift was forecasted to be around 0 feet-per-minute around 5, so he advised launching early.

I pushed out across the field so I could launch early if I wanted. There was some first-day confusion on the launch line but we finally got organized. The tows however, were not so organized. Jeff got off tow low and came around for another. Davis came off the cart crooked, mostly due to his wing runner. Soon it was my turn and I bellied-up for some torture. Rick and I worked and managed to drag me to about 1400 feet before I said “uncle” and released. I found a weak climb and decided right then and there I was not going to tow again today, even if I came back to the field.

I managed to eventually get to cloud base with Curt and Oleg. We looked for the sweet spot on the start circle, but with the strong wind it was hard to stay put. The rigid wings and a few flex wings managed to get a climb ahead of me. Once at base they all started heading back. Um, maybe the day was stopped; it would not have surprised me. However, after taking the bait, I saw they were just coming back for the last start gate. Although I was now lower and behind, I also went back and then started on course.

Although the wind was strong, I managed a respectable rate going into the first turn point. I hesitated for moment trying to decide to go for the turn point or a climb down wind and that moment separated me from the main group. I got high at the turn point and started the long cross wind trip through the blue to the second turn point. I caught a couple of the earlier gliders, but they eventually scrapped me off in turbulent climb. I shouldn’t have missed that climb …. I’m still trying to figure out what happened! I cruised over the second turn point low and was picking out landing fields. I saw Kevin coming back to get the turn point. Meanwhile I was getting ready to land in a very stiff turbulent wind but managed to drift at 300 – 500 feet hoping to connect with a climb. The race was now over, I just needed to stay in the air and reach goal. I drifted in the ratty air until I started inching my way back up. By the time I had 1800 I was far down wind of the course line. I did my best to climb and work my way upwind. The sky was clearing in front of me, probably the predicted front passing by.

The goal field was not inviting. It was a narrow north-south grass airstrip surrounded by tall trees with a charcoal back area just upwind. The wind was howling out of the west-southwest. I decided to land in the field to the south. I didn’t go on a crossing upwind glide until I had about 1200 feet over best-glide. Of course, I got strong lift all the way into goal. I was late, but I did finally get there. The hover-down landing was interesting, as was the visit from the sheriff. Apparently the owners were not happy we were trespassing on their property. Curt, Jeff, Davis, and Belinda talked with the owners and sheriff while I broke down with the other 10 or so gliders in the field. The flight information is available online.

We packed as many gliders, gear, and pilots into the truck and headed home happy to be at goal and on the ground safe and sound.

No comments: