Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Flytec - Day Four


Although the day started with a thick overcast, we finally had a classic day of Florida flying. We flew from Quest, south to Fantasy of Flight, to the intersection of Route 27 and highway 4, north to the intersection of Route 27 and 474, then back to Quest. The lift was good and plentiful, the wind light, and the birds and gliders marking lift everywhere. Most pilots made it into goal today. However, my competition experience today (really this year) is so bad all I can do is laugh about it.

Things were going just great in the start circle. I had plenty of time to take pictures, watch Johnny spin, and generally enjoy to cool weather at cloud base. I was in the perfect position with two minutes left on the clock. I decided to get a quick sip of water before starting the race. I grabbed the hose, promptly pulled open the shutoff valve and began spewing water everywhere as it danced about. The hose had a life of its own and it took awhile just to catch it! Meanwhile I was trying to avoid the other gliders, was flying into the sinking blue, and flying away from the start circle. By the time I replaced the valve and got things stowed the field was already on their way. Dang.

The flying was good today. I never really got low and only had to suffer through two slow climbs. I waved at the rigid wings as we passed at Fantasy of Flight. (They ran the task in the opposite direction). I was slowly passing gliders and things were looking good as I got the second turn point and headed north along Route 27. I was forced to take a slow climb south of the Route 192 interchange and some of the gliders I just passed caught up with me. I then easily snagged the last turn point and headed home. The sky was turning blue and I knew I need two good climbs. I got a gift of 500 fpm just past the turn point and left for Quest with 70 feet over my best glide path. I was hoping some buoyant might help me in without another climb. Another glider was along for the smooth glide towards Quest. When the numbers went to -200 I knew I needed another climb and made a detour to a cloud to the right of course line. I didn’t find anything there and was picking out a place to land.

I couldn’t find any sign of wind on the ground. The lakes were calm and there wasn’t any smoke or flags around. I decide to land to the west. As I approached the field I discovered it had sprinkler posts. Yikes! Not much I could do at that point besides line up between the rows. As I turned onto final it became apparent that I was going downwind, and going fast. Crap. I crested the top of the hill and was soon going down wind, down hill, between the sprinkler spikes. Oh joy. I flew as long as I dared and did a “hail Mary” flare and manage to pull of a respectable landing. I walked back up the hill and then noticed an armada of gliders flying overhead on their way to Quest. Double crap! I then walked my glider over to a sand road and began breaking down. I soon discovered my clothes, helmet and harness were totally covered with fire ants. I laugh and sarcastically thought “will this day get any better?” I broke down, hike about a ¼ mile out to a road, was soon picked up, and was greeted with the sight of hundreds of gliders that made the round trip.

Even with the poor score, it was nice to be flying in nice conditions again and I even enjoyed racing once I started passing pilots. Now I just have to be sure to land at goal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom - I'm sure the degree to which you toyed with my emotions in your latest tale is nothing compared to the "ups" and "downs" you experienced. One lasting memory I have of camping in Florida is the intense itch from those fire ant bites. Not fun. Glad to hear you are having some great flying experiences although not with the competitive results you would like. Hang in there! Lee

Tom Lanning said...

Emotions are definitely part of the competitive game and have to be properly managed. I'm still a novice, but slowly learning.