Sunday, April 02, 2006

Two-for-One Special

Paul Tjaden had a tough time getting the flex wing pilots motivated to fly a 57 mile triangle today. The field was covered with thick low clouds until 9:30 and even by 1:30 pilots were returning to the field empty-handed. The XC clinic was going to fly a short 15 mile triangle and I decided to fly along with them. I launched after Paul (who decided to fly the longer triangle course) and quickly climbed to cloud base. I kept in contact with Paul as he headed north for the long course and I headed east for the short course.

Earlier today I finally found a way to store and retrieve my digital camera in flight. I’ll be posting more in-flight pictures from now on.

I completed the course about the time the clinic pilots were starting their run. I decided to do the course again. I raced back to a quick climb I passed through on the way into goal and was soon flying with the leading group of students. About that time I noticed the sky clearing to the west which suggested a sea breeze front was approaching. Paul, who had been doing well, radioed he was going to land in a sea breeze. I could have returned to Quest at that point, but decided to finish the course for the second time as quickly as I could. I ran hard to the second turn point and then headed home. I got back the field and raced to the ground before the bulk of the students arrived so I could to enjoy the “show” as everyone landed in the brisk west wind. A record of the flight is available online. (The scoring for the HOLC does not handle doing the same course twice very well.)

Today marks the 7th straight day I have flown cross-country. The weather has been good; I wonder how long it will last.

3 comments:

Todd Sheehan said...

Tom, How do you store your camera and access it during flight???

Thanks for posting and good luck during the meet!!!

Todd
todd@glidestone.com
Blogg @ www.glidestone.com

Tom Lanning said...

I stow the camera in a side pocket in my Moyes Matrix harness. I tried to use a bungee before, but I had too much trouble getting everything back into the pocket. Yesterday I tried one of those plastic "key retractor" things people use on their belts. It worked just great. I could pull the camera out, take the picture, and then put it back without worrying about the safety line.

Anonymous said...

Ok - we need more...more more more...I need a plane ticket - perhaps for this or next weekend ! but in case that silly idea get's veto'ed - feed us more stuff !

Fly safe Tom....

Rob