Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Bok and Back

Wallaby Ranch came alive today as pilots showed up to grab airtime. The clouds trapped below the inversion level dissipated on schedule and cummies started forming around 10:30. I had a hard time waiting for everyone else to get ready but we eventually walked to the west end of the field.

I launched first, with Kerry as the tow pilot. I pinned off early in a good thermal to the south of the airfield. I immediately noticed all the gliders were moving to the northwest corner of the field. I stowed my bridal and played around at cloud base while the other pilots moved their gliders and launched.

Mick suggested flying an out-and-back to Bok Tower, the place Amy and I visited last week. It seemed like a reasonable thing to do so I joined in. Mick landed back at the field for a couple of reasons so only two of us actually headed out. I kept heading upwind to the east so that I could drift west if I got low and still be close to course line. My flying partner Billy took a direct line and initially was doing much better. However, he missed a climb, got down to 700 feet, and slowly clawed his way back up. Meanwhile I was floating along bouncing from cloud to cloud and eventually caught up and hung out at cloud base until we could hook up again. However on our very next glide I headed more upwind to the east and he headed on course to the southeast. Once again I got lucky and found a strong climb and pushed on.

The 24 mile trip south was slow but mostly uneventful. However I missed a climb on the other side of a blue hole and arrived at Bok Tower low enough to see the statues on the top. I was heading to an LZ downwind of the tower when I stumbled into a weak climb that slowly got me high enough to start my trip home.

I was low again over a shopping center that I just knew had to be producing a thermal. I was low but managed to find a weak climb that convinced some buzzards to leave the trees and join me. The flock worked together and soon one bird found the hot spot. I was the second to reach the thermal and the others join in below me. We all climbed together taking turns looking for better lift. At one point I had a buzzard about 6 feet off my wing and another 15 feet below me flying in perfect formation. Eventually my new friends headed east while I headed north.

Once again I found myself low looking for a climb over a concrete brick factory. I found lots of turbulence, but little lift. Although I was putting up a good fight, I was losing height. I finally gave up and headed for an LZ. I was flying the base leg of my approach over some power lines at 300 feet when, with no warning, I slammed into a bullet blasting up at 700 fpm. It was a "man your battle stations" moment as I wrestled with the "invigorating" climb. I soon reached cloud base and had a easy cloud-hopping glide back to the ranch.

The total round trip was slightly less than 50 miles and I flew for 3.5 hours, the same as yesterday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom, what was CB?

Anonymous said...

well done, see you this weekend...

Tom Lanning said...

4500 rising to 5600 by the time I landed.