Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Drilling Holes Into The Sky

Last night's forecast for today was looking delicious after 8 days of basically blown-out conditions. However, this morning I awoke to the sound of the tug starting but didn't notice the usual sunshine seeping through the tent. A few minutes later someone shut off the tug without towing anyone aloft. I stepped out of the tent to a cloud-laden sky that looked like it could rain at any moment. The National Weather Service was still forecasting lighter winds and partly cloudy skies, but I guess they don't look out the window much.

Slowly the lower level moisture dried out and I could see thick cirrus blotting out the sun. Eventually ragged cumulus started forming under the cirrus and I decided it was time to fly. I rigged and was ready to go but Carlos wanted me to wait until another pilot was ready to avoid dragging the tug out 2 different times. I didn't mind since the sky still look anemic.

Tyler gave me a "too smooth" tow but finally dropped me off in some light lift that toyed with me until I was high enough to find a nice strong climb to cloud base. I was surprised by the strength of some of the climbs; the clouds above them just didn't look that good. Slowly the cirrus started to thin and the day turned on. I spent the next 3.5 hours flying a couple 22 mile triangles and a trip up Route 27 just enjoying being in the air. I played with many birds, raced trucks down the highway, and tried to find houses that did NOT have swimming pools. I flew over 65 miles but was never beyond a glide back to the ranch.

I did something today I usually don't do when free-flying; I landed before the day was done. A winter of slouching over a laptop computer 7-days a week took its toll. I'm almost afraid of how my muscles will feel in the morning! However, this evening, I'm grinning ear-to-ear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom, It's great to hear you finally got some good air time. I'm sorry my timing was off by a week. Great pictures but I can't pick out any landmarks. I hope you get more good air but don't peak before the comps. - Lee