Saturday, March 17, 2007

Spring Break (Away)

Gliders have been accumulating in my basement as winter-weary pilots snag a ride for their pride-and-joy to Florida with me. I had long conversations with Rodger and then Tim L., but Tim H showed up around mid-night one night, tossed his and PK's gliders on the ground, and left without even saying hello. I guess Tim didn't want to prolong the agony of saying goodbye to his glider!

I have been watching the weather and Sunday looked like the day to make my escape. The weather this week was a tease. The meager snow we got this season was disappearing in the late winter sunshine as temperatures climbed above 60F (15C). I enjoyed a nice run on without my usual layers of clothing, met with clients for the last time until May, and got the truck ready for "flying season".

Although I enjoyed the warmth, I knew the New England weather was getting ready to "sucker punch" us. I finally saw my front yard on Friday morning, but snow started falling around noon and by sunset the world around me was white again. I awoke to find 15 inches (38cm) of heavy wet sticky white goop smothering everything. Although Lee left this morning and the weather in central Florida looked reasonable for tomorrow, I was happy waiting for the storm to end before clearing the driveway and loading the truck.

I'm breaking out tomorrow at 4:30am.

No comments: