Friday, March 23, 2007

Lee Flies in Florida

News flash. Lee flies in Florida; world leaders meet to discuss what this dramatic event will have on world affairs.

It is a good thing Lee can see the humor in the frustratingly consistent bad weather he experiences during his Florida flying trips. Lee doesn't pick the time; he is limited to spring break at Tufts University where he is a professor. I'm sure we all have friends that (at times) seem to drag bad weather along with them.

Lee and I assumed we would soar and fly cross country together this week. However strong winds kept us and everyone else on the ground during the soaring part of every day this week. Lee, along with Dennis who was working on his towing skills, were out almost every morning just after sunrise to launch in the still air next the ground and then climb into the strong but stable wind above. Both pilots got more airtime than I did since I just stood on the ground and took pictures. Both pilots also got to tow through and then above a group of balloons that landed at Wallaby today.

Amy, Lee, and Dennis have headed home and I'm left behind with no airtime and more strong winds in the forecast. Hope springs eternal; maybe it will be soarable on Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tom, you can thank me for the first signs of lift that appeared all week. Lift arrived after I left! Glad to hear you got some airtime.

We’ll, here are the stats on my trip, 2,694 round trip miles, 56.25 door-to-door hours driving, 4 tows, 1 hour airtime, 36 miles of mountain biking, countless hours with fellow pilots wondering when the winds would change for the better. Bottom line? I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Good luck in the comps!
Lee