Saturday, April 09, 2011

Out and Almost Back

The winds were light, the lift weak to moderate, and drivers scarce, so we decided on a closed task.  I choose to go northwest to Quest Air and back to Wallaby Ranch.

Fay towed me the southeast and dropped me off in a weak but comfy climb.


Mike and Fellipe took off before I reached base so I hung around for the next wave of pilots to climb up.  I pushed a bit west but came back to the ranch to tank up before chasing Jason and Tyson.  They where a climb and a half ahead of me, but I caught up with Jason near the route 474.  The thermals were getting stronger and it was time to "let it rip".


The "bloom" soon turned into mild "over-development" as I approached the turn point.  I pushed east to a promising cloud near the lakes but didn't find any joy.


I searched the area without success and was in the pattern to land on the airstrip when I stumbled into a few bubbles and then noticed Tyson circling at the north end of the runway.  We shared a slow climb and waved goodbye to the pilots below.

I watched Davis speed in as he completed his task.  Tyson left as I continued climbing.  I shared the climb and an enthusiastic wave with a tandem glider and then later with someone flying a sweet looking Aeros glider with a tail.


I had an easy flight south to the airfield at Seminole and then faced a tough decision.  The day was drying out but I suspected I could find a climb of the Bronson ranch.  The Bronson's don't appreciate us landing there, so I decided to instead fly into the shade along route 474.  As expected, I was soon landing.  I pulled off a sweet landing in the nil wind close to the road.

Tim and Fellipe came by to pick me up shortly after I finished packing.  All-in-all it was a good day for flying and my first out-landing for the year.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:52, Distance: 34 miles

No comments: