Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tale of Two Towers

Tuesday's forecast looked great for a long sightseeing trip to the north.  However, other than Jason, no other pilots wanted to deal with the hassle of a long retrieve.  Furthermore I couldn't find a driver that wanted to spend the afternoon stuck driving my car.  So I latched onto everyone else's plan to push upwind to Bok Tower to the south and then return to Wallaby Ranch.

I launched first and released into a non-productive thermal.  Meanwhile, Jason launched and was dropped off in a better climb upwind.  I slid in under him and began an earnest climb to cloud base.  Jason topped out and headed on course to the south.  He sniffed around quite awhile before latching onto a thermal which he left just as I joined him.  We pushed upwind looking for our next refill, but got lower and lower.  We hunted together and found a thermal wanna-be over a shopping center south of Route 4, just beyond a glide back to launch.  Aric joined us as we sort-of-climbed but mostly just drifted back north.  I was ready to return when Aric dove forward.  I swung around and plowed ahead until I was low and desperate for a climb.  I found a ratty little snake over a housing development that gave us some breathing room.  Meanwhile Jason was not so lucky and was fighting to stay off the ground.  I noticed he was hitting strong little cores so I flew in his direction when I bumped into a strong climb that rocketed Aric and I to base, but put Jason on the ground.

Meanwhile, the gang back at the field were having second thoughts about the day's task given our "stellar" performance.  We could have used a couple jugs of syrup to go with all the waffling I heard on the radio.  It was like listening to standup comedy!  Eventually, the group changed the task to the Citrus Tower and back.  We would be initially heading north instead of south and I already was a couple climbs behind since I was south of launch.

I worked my way back to the ranch, shared a strong climb with Paul and captain Mick, and started the task after everyone else left.  I pushed hard, caught up with Al, Mike, and Tyson, and then tagged the tower before them.  Mike and I had a bit of lead on the others and flew out over a large lake looking for a climb.  (I know, it sounds counterintuitive.)  Mike out climbed me and left while I was still tanking up on altitude.  Mike drove upwind, got low, and had to take a slow climb to stay airborne.  I passed him high above only suffer the same fate.  Sigh.

Hazy view of the southern large lake.

I pushed west to a forming line of clouds that paid off with a good climb.  Mike joined me a bit lower as we finally made some progress towards home.

Climbing with Mike

I had to skip any weak climbs since I would lose too much ground in the southerly headwind.  I noticed a vigorous cloud even further west and "bet the house" that it would provide a quick climb.  It did and I got jump on Mike and the rest of the gang.


I headed straight for the ranch and stopped for one more climb over a recently burned forested area before arriving first back at the ranch.  Mike arrived soon after and Tyson and Al a while later.  Aric and Felipe landed just short of the ranch after valiant struggles.

I originally wanted to spend the day exploring new countryside, but as Mike pointed out, the challenge of flying upwind provides its own unique rewards.


Flights: 1, Duration: 3:27, Distance: 53.6 miles

No comments: