Sunday, April 17, 2011

Even a Dead Fish Can Float Downstream

Although the day started breezy, Mike and I thought it would be flyable by mid-day and the direction would was good for a long flight from Wallaby Ranch.  Fay encouraged us to "go for it" and offered to drive.  I rushed to setup my glider after landing out the day before.  I continued chasing Mike down the driveway to the launch line but had plenty of time to regain my composure before Fay showed up in the tug.

Malcolm hooked me in and away I went into an overdeveloping sky.


The clouds continued to build as Mike and I drifted to the northwest in very weak but mellow air around 3000 feet (900 m).


We floated along occasionally turning in bubbles until we approached Quest 20 miles to the northwest.


Mike faded east to a potential climb while I faded west to the airfield.  Mike was rewarded with a good climb and I was rewarded with a good but disappointing landing.  While Davis, Jochen, Mike, and Mitch continued on, I got into line for a quick tow.  Paul did his best to find a climb but eventually waved me off under a dark but inactive cloud.  I search while light sprinkles clouded my visor.  I crossed to another line of clouds, found a couple small climbs but was forced to move on.  I finally had to land about 13 miles to the north but I still had some excitement in store.  I was about 50 feet (15 m) above the ground on final when I went slack twice while upright.  Yahoo.  I was landing in a "lake breeze" (i.e., a cold front) and it was exciting all the way to the ground.  I even struggled walking the glider to the road in the strong wind.



Once on the ground I discovered I didn't have Fay's telephone number.  I called Belinda and then Jason for her number.  Jason gave me her number, but not the number for her "new" phone.  I didn't know that either so I left a message on the "old phone" and broke down while large solitary rain drops bounced off the sail.  Jason called back a bit later and took pity on me and said he was coming to "fetch me".  Thanks mucho Jason!

As the rest of the gang drove back from their goal at Williston far to the northwest, I treated Jason to his "driver's dinner" at Red Wing.  Part way through the meal, Belinda called to invite us to join a group of pilots going to see the premiere of the movie "Rio 3D".  For some strange reason, I could easily relate to the main character's lack of flying abilities.  ;-)

Flights: 2, Duration: 1:44, 35.3 miles

2 comments:

Lee M. said...

Hey Tom, Have you replaced Morningside-sink that some us up here in the still-to-cold-Northeast have with Quest-sink? How's the new glider? Sounds like you are getting a lot of air time with it.

Tom Lanning said...

Too much airtime! Getting back at 2:00 am and doing it again and again. Glider is flying great, pilot in a bit of a slump! Many stories for the blog coming if I can just get a non-flying day. Body is beat!