Sunday, April 24, 2011

Squeeze Play

The task for Wednesday was Venice Beach, to the southwest of Quest Air.  I originally planned to stay on the ground and rest, but Jamie created an "excitement vortex" that sucked me in and before I knew it I was heading to the launch line.

Davis, Jochen, and Mitch launched before the wind switched direction and we had to stroll to the opposite side of the field.  Once again I was the last to launch behind Jamie, Lauren, and Jim S.  The first 3 pilots were miles and miles ahead and even the second wave was a climb or two ahead by the time I released.


I ran a line along the edge of the Green Swamp west of the Seminole Gliderport.  I shared a climb to the south of the gliderport with 3 slick looking sailplanes before gliding off towards Fantasy of Flight.  It was the first time I squeezed between the restricted airspace between Bartow and Lakeland.




Once I cleared the congested space I started pushing hard trying to close the distance between me and the first wave.  I pushed too hard and got pinned up against a swamp and settled into a recently plowed field.


Belinda picked me up and we finished the drive to Venice where we picked up Davis, Jochen, and Mitch.  Although they didn't reach the actual beach, we were close enough to drive the rest of the way there for a drink and dinner.  Curt Warren, who had just arrived from Australia, joined us.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:40, Distance: 50 miles

No comments: