Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Cloud Explosion

Like yesterday, I was the first to launch. Unlike yesterday, I had the text-book perfect tow. I followed Carlos through the buttery smooth air until we center-punched a smooth 700 fpm up. Carlos waved, I pinned off, waved back, and started circling. I took that sweet smelling orange blossom express to cloud base. I was dancing around the cloud's edge before the next glider was even rolling across the field. That's the way it should always be!

I surfed the side of the cloud while the rest of the XC gang climbed out. Mick called a task to the Citrus Tower in Claremont, Quest, and back to the ranch. Mike and I left together as the sky exploded with clouds. The lift was strong with clouds forming below us, around us, and beside us. I flew to the 192 - 27 intersection before I saw any blue or made any turns. Mike and I raced north, him on the west side of 27 and me on the east side. I had a slight lead until there was a "weak spot" in the line of clouds on the east side. I crossed over 27 to the west side as Mike flew in over me. Mike kept pushing on while I slowed down before heading over the town of Claremont under the now seriously overdeveloped sky. Mike found a good climb near the tower that I was more than happy to slip into.

The area between the tower and Quest was stable looking with high blow-off from the earlier cloud explosion. I took a deep breath and jumped in. I arrived at the other side low, too low to even reach Quest. Luckily I found some bubbles that first got me high enough to sneak into Quest and then finally high enough to consider shopping for something better. Jason joined my climb, then Mike, and then several rigid wings.

Mike and I climbed to base and headed back. We fanned out looking for lift under the decaying sky. It was way too smooth and every cloud we investigated was silent. We were getting low and had maybe one more chance to find the elevator. Mike faded left and I went south towards some sunlit fields. I flew through some chop but no lift. We were now too far apart to rejoin. Mike eventually landed at the state park and I circled in broken lift over those fields for a long time. Slowly it turned into a real climb of 100 fpm and finally 200 fpm. Some time later Dave flew in overhead.

Dave was still much higher when we left, but a least I had enough altitude to search for something. We had a gentle glide under an old cloud line but I needed another climb soon. I spotted a 1500 foot high dust devil coming from a construction site near the 27 - 474 intersection and prompted headed for a spanking. Before I could get my punishment Dave called me back to a 600 fpm climb that I couldn't find. Dave headed home while I took a few more minutes to find the climb further upwind.

Once back to base, I had an easy glide in; in fact too easy. I was climbing at 500 fpm while on final glide; so much for blazing in at tree-top height. I gave up, slowed down, and watched Dave land and Kerry pull someone up. I unzipped my harness, spread my legs to create my custom drogue chute, draped my hands over the base bar in the smooth air, and waited for gravity to do its job. A few minutes later I looked down and saw Kerry just a few yards directly below me. Dang, I wish I had the camera ready. He waved up and I waved back with both hands. Too cool.

A short time after I landed Mick arrived after clawing his way out of a hole just north of the ranch. Way to go Mick!

I was in the air 3 hours and flew a 51 mile triangle with 6 climbs. This might be my last flight here before heading south to the Florida Ridge for the nationals.

No comments: