Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Florida Ridge - Day 4

Although it would probably rain or blow up into thunderstorms we setup for an early 34 mile task to the Lake Placid airfield to the north. I got into line as soon as I was ready and Steve towed me downwind to a wimpy little climb. At first I wasn't happy being dropped off with only 300 feet over best glide back to the field, but as I slowly climbed and watch other pilots land back at the field I changed by opinion. Once near cloud base the lift improved and I had no problem moving from cloud to cloud in the pillow-soft lift.

The sky to the north along course line started getting dark and then speckled with showers. I was ready to take the first start gate but no one in my gaggle wanted to go. No problem, it wasn't looking promising downwind anyway. I pushed back upwind and joined Kevin and Wolfgang in a little climb. Just as we reach cloud base it started to sprinkle and then rain. Kevin went on course line and I push back upwind. It continued to rain and I could see rain to the west as well. At that point I decided I had enough and took off to the east to find a dry place to land.

I landed in a light rain in a sugar-cane field next to highway 74 that had a bridge across the ever-present ditch/canal along the edge. A few minutes later I watched Paul land on the other side of the road in a pasture field adorned with small trees. I called in to inform Cheryl that I, a member of the safety committee, just landed because I thought the conditions on course line were unsafe. Cheryl informed me that the day was stopped 10 minutes earlier.

Meanwhile a Starling was constantly scolding me for intruding on his space. I could get within a few feet before he fly to the next bush only to return when I moved back.

Ron zipped out and picked me up and then we threw Paul and Olav onboard before heading back. It was a good thing we stopped the task because the radar of the course line was painted yellow and red with strong thunderstorms. A group of us drove into La Belle for Mexican food and retired to our tents for a loud and brilliant light show into the night.

No comments: