Monday, April 09, 2007

Florida Ridge - Day 2

The forecasts for today were mixed; some predicted light winds while others predicted moderate winds. The task committee picked a task for each forecast but by none it was clear the light wind forecast was correct.

Our task was a 45 mile trip to La Belle, south to an intersection, back to La Belle and then back to the Ridge. The sky was blue, the winds light, and the birds flapping. We had 4 15-minute interval starts beginning at 2:00. No one launched when the window opened at 1:00 but Olav, Bjorn, and Jack launched and discouraged further activity. Olav and Bjorn returned to the field, but Jack pushed on out of sight and eventually landed.

As the final start gate approached we started launched in earnest and surprisingly found workable lift. I worked my way to the edge of the start circle and took the last start. I was with most of the British team and Paris. We were getting close to the top of a climb near the first turn point when I pushed upwind a bit thinking I would find better lift. I fell off the edge of the climb and was soon 1000 feet below the rest of the gaggle that was just leaving. Crap. I flew the next leg behind the group but caught everyone on the way back to La Belle. We all wallowed in lightly sinking air before we all pushed on low.

I had a sweet glide northward and plowed into a strong climb near the turn point. I flew through the lift, got the turn point, went back and topped out with Bjorn. We started heading home and took a few turns we should have skipped. I finished 6th for the day, but 1st was within reach if I was more aggressive. Live and learn.

Rodger had an "outback" experience in the cane fields, Patrick won the day in the sport class, and we all spent the evening at the Gator Bait pub again.

No comments: