Sunday, April 29, 2007

Flytec - Day 7

I broke camp and was ready to leave immediately after the pilot's meeting. At the morning meeting Davis described the stats from the previous epic day of flying and the less than exciting weather forecast. Those two bits of information helped PK and Tim decide to also skip the last day and send their gliders home with me instead of inconveniencing Mark V. I ran into Beth and Bubba on the way out; I wish I had more time but I needed to start the wheels turning.

I left under a solid overcast sky but was looking at puffy cummies lined up to the coast as I got east of Orlando. I called Dave back at Quest and he forwarded my observations to everyone sitting under the tree waiting for something to happen. Later in the day, I called Linda and found out people did fly but that she landed in a dry swamp area and was up to her chin in brush. Um, glad I skipped that!

Unlike the uneventful first day of driving, I kept encountering accidents and delays on the the second day. After using some creative "off road driving" to get around a nasty 2 hour backup in New York City I had a front-row seat to a accident on I-684 near the Connecticut border. I had to wait while the state troopers, ambulance, fire trucks, and cleanup crew cleaned up the mess.

I made the doctor's appointment at 9:00 Monday, only to be told that "yep, you should have a CT scan and we'll let you know when that is available". Couldn't that been scheduled over the telephone so I could have flown Saturday? Sigh. Anyway, I had the CT scan and the original mass didn't show up which is really good news. However the CT scan did show a nodule in a lymph gland that will need to be scanned again in the near future to see if it changes, an abnormality in my trachea (which I think might have happened during a flying "incident" a few years ago), and an enlarged thyroid. These are all minor and although I joke that I would have been better off not knowing anything, they are good to know about.

Now I just have to get over a flu "going around" that buried me once I got home and wait for the perpetual rain over New England to leave so I can go flying again.