Thursday, April 12, 2012

North or South

The forecast for Tuesday was a mixed blessing.  The strength and height of the lift was better to the south but a trip southward would mean flying into an increasing headwind.  I was also concerned that the conditions would be "too good" and eventually over-develop and maybe even rain.

Dennis C, Jason W, PK, Rodger F, and I eventually settled on a trip to the north.  I took a short tow to a climb right over launch, released, and was soon running from the haze forming at cloud base.  I played around with many other pilots while I waited for everyone else to climb up.

 

Jason had a weak-link break shortly after tow and suggested we move on without him.  Dennis, PK, Rodger, and I were together at base so we dove to the north.  Unfortunately, the rapid development we originally climbed in shaded the area and it was now a large blue hole.  Rodger, suffered on the long glide and landed shortly after.  Dennis, PK, and I found a weak climb but PK dropped out when he couldn't connect with Dennis and I in our next climb.  With two of our buddies standing on the ground below, Dennis and I moved on.

We had easy climbs to just under 7000 feet (2100m) flying along the lakes.  We passed Mike B heading south after tagging Quest Air as a turn point.  We continued to a string of dark clouds looming over Groveland, about 20 miles (32 km) to the north.  Dennis glided through slightly ahead of me without finding a bump.  I was convinced the area should be working so I swept wider to the west and slammed into a 1000 fpm (5 m/s) climb.  Meanwhile Dennis continued gliding and searching in vain.  Eventually he landed below me just south of the Route 33 and Florida Turnpike intersection.

With all my buddies on the ground, I decided to turn around and fly back upwind to Wallaby Ranch.  I got low near Quest Air but slowly climbed out before taking a long glide to a thermal marked by Mitch soaring upward in a Dragonfly tug!

One more low-ish save and I was back at the ranch.  Of course once there I watched Jason soar the edge of the field in light lift, unable to get down.  For the first time in my life, I pimped another pilot, Scott L, for sink!  We spiraled down while we could and landed at the same time on opposite sides of the field.

Jason and I jumped in my car and meet Igor, Dennis, and Rodger at the spot where PK landed after taking off from Quest Air for his second flight of the day.  We stopped for dinner and drinks before returning to the ranch.

Duration: 3:56, Distance: 66.5 miles

1 comment:

John Hesch said...

Sounds like a lot of fun Tom-as I sit looking out the window at the rain-soaked ground!;) Wish I could join you down in the sunny SE, but I'll see you in Texas if you make it. Take care and I'm sure I don't need to add-"have fun"!