Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Race & Rally: Day 4

After spending the night at yesterday's goal, Lake Wales Florida, we got a text message telling us to move to Quest Air for the day.  After a quick breakfast we drove to Groveland Florida and setup.  Davis gave us the weather forecast; light winds, blue skies, and relatively low top-of-climb (4000 feet / 1220 m).  We were staying local since the winds to the north were predicted to be too high for flying today and tomorrow.  Carl presented the task, a 4-sided polygon that started at Quest Air, extended south to the intersection of Route 33 and 474, then back to the northwest to a turn point at Center Hill Florida, then northeast to a turn point 5 km from an airfield called Flying Baron Estates, then back south to Quest.  Total distance was 101 km (63.1 miles).

Pilots rushed to get ready in the 45 minutes between the morning meeting and the opening of the launch window.  Most of my time was spent entering the data for 3 new waypoints into my flight computer.  Although rushed, most pilots seemed ready to go when the tugs fired up.

I was about 20th in line and could see the earlier pilots were sticking.  I had a quick tow behind Russell and was dropped off in a good climb.  Most of the field was bouncing off the inversion at the top of lift for nearly an hour and were glad when the first start time rolled around.

I had a good start but made a minor mistake stopping for a climb that wasn't worth it near the first turn point.  However, a strong climb north of the gliderport allowed me to reconnect with most of the lead gaggle.  It was a good day; I saw several pilots make low saves with strong thermals forming almost to the ground.  Although uncomfortably low a few times, I never thought landing was imminent.

I was too cautious on my final, but after my poor showing yesterday, I wanted to be at goal so I arrived about 500 feet (150m) too high.  I wasn't fast, but did get to watch many pilots land.



Almost everyone was in a good mood after a long, fun, and safe, day of flying.  The drivers, including mine, didn't have to leave the shade tree all afternoon.

Amy after a grueling afternoon of not chasing.

Richard (Looking for sponsorship from a beer company?)

Stories

Red Shoes

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:57, Distance: 63.1 miles

2 comments:

Randy said...

WORLD DOMINATION!!!

Randy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.