Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Race & Rally: Day 3

It was a bit funky today on the Race & Rally.  The weather was much better than yesterday, but still breezy, blue, and low.  Excitement replaced "bad weather jokes" as everyone busied themselves with preparation for a day of racing at the Marion County Airport in Dunnellon Florida.


The task was a 152 km (95 mile) dog leg through Quest Air to the Lake Wales airport to the south.


We had an ordered launch with a 30 minute open launch at the beginning.  A few pilots took advantage of the open window, but most waited for their allocated turn.  The climbs initially looked weak but it was soon apparent that some pilots were climbing higher than predicted.


My number was in the middle of the queue and gliders were already near the 15 km (9.3 mile) start circle when I launched.  I had a long, but reasonably smooth, tow to 1900 feet (580 m) where I released into a climb.  (The vario wasn't beeping on one long stretch, even behind the tug).

I drifted through the start circle 1 minute before the next 15-minute clock, so I flew back upwind for 0.3km to get the 2:45 start time.  That was my first mistake, as I lost my flying buddies Dean and Pete.

I glided down across the trees but finally found a climb and became instantly popular with a half-dozen pilots in the area.  My newly adopted gaggle (Charlie, John, Alex, and a few others) was making progress, but was flying too far west towards the sea breeze for my taste, so I made a 90-degree turn to the east when I saw someone climbing.  Second mistake.

I had a couple other climbs and glides but deviated from course line, got low and pinned to a field northwest of Groveland.  Third mistake.  I hovered down in the westerly sea breeze for a no-step landing.


Aside from landing 1/2 way into the task, I had a 1+ mile hike out to a locked gate.  Fourth mistake.  At least the cows kept me company.


I later learned a dozen or so pilots never got away from the field before the sea breeze shut everything  down.  Many of pilots from the first three starts made goal.  The gaggle from the fourth start that I ditched flew another 25 miles (40 km) or more than me  Sigh.

Still it was fun flying and I hope I make at least different mistakes tomorrow.

Flights: 1, Duration: 2:24, Distance: 43.7 miles

2 comments:

jjcote said...

Those are some weird-looking cows!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, those are ATTACK Cows! SAVE THE GLIDER! LOL

After hearing this story, makes me feel better about landing right next to my truck, cooler, air conditioning and whatever!

Rob