Sunday, April 22, 2012

Race & Rally: Day 1

I assumed the first day of the Flytec Race & Rally would be cancelled when I awoke to rain and slate gray skies.  The forecast for increasing winds reinforced that idea.  However, when a task was presented at the morning meeting and then clearing skies without winds appeared around noon I gladly had to change my mind.  Most pilots had rigged and staged their gliders and when a pilots meeting was called as the launch window was about to open.  I assumed we would get instructions on the new launch procedures or maybe a 30 minute delay to accommodate stragglers.  However, Mitch described a rough tug approach, explained how difficult it is to tow in a west-northwest wind, and reminded everyone of the earlier forecasts for wind.  He then stated the day had been cancelled.  I was surprised, but not upset.



A small group of pilots suited up for flights and had a good time for a couple hours until the promised winds, probably reinforced with a sea-breeze, showed up.  As far as I know, everyone hovered in without incident.


I thought we were staying local, but got a text message late in the afternoon saying we would be towing out of the Marion County Airport in Dunnellon FL on Monday.  The airfield is large and provides a better angle into the forecasted northwest wind. Amy, Richard, Paris, and I will be driving north tomorrow morning.

No comments: