Thursday, April 26, 2012

Race & Rally: Day 5

We left Quest Air today and headed north.  The daily meeting was repeatedly postponed as we waited for the task committee.  That usually means the committee is having a tough time designing a task and it also usually means the task will be difficult.  The committee sent us north with a crossing tailwind to a turn point at John Travolta's airstrip northeast of Ocala and then into the west southwest wind to Williston.


I saw plenty of evidence for a strong westerly sea breeze which would make that last leg nearly impossible.  Since I was slated to launch near the end of the ordered launch, I rushed to get ready for the 15 minute open launch window before the ordered launch started.  I had trouble deciding between launching early and stressing my sore shoulder for 1:20 before the first start gate or launch at the end of the line and risk missing the first start.  I finally decided to launch early and do as little as possible until it was time to race.

I had a good start and was one of the leaders on the first long glide.  We found a climb but I notice Ollie climbing better to the west.  Should I give up the moderate "sure thing" or go for the "better thing"?  I decided to stay put but regretted the decision when I noticed Ollie climb above everyone else and leave.

Things started rattling apart as I crossed the turnpike and woods south of the Villages.  I was low and watched a couple gliders land below me.  I struggled to get some maneuvering room and couldn't find a good climb.  A bald eagle shared my climb for 5 minutes as I continued to drift off course line.

I finally spotted pilots from the second start so I turned back and finally climbed out with them.  We meandered across the countryside, flicking from one weak climb to the next.  I was pinched off and left to fend for myself.  A bit later, Richard flew by and we shared a climb before we pushed upwind and landed about 20 km (12 miles) short of the turn point.

I hovered down into a large pasture field full of frisky cattle.  Luckily, I was scary looking enough that they kept a comfortable distance.


Amy showed up as I was sliding the glider through the gate.  We rounded the corner and picked up Richard.  While there, a crew from the Marion County Firefighters stopped to check out the activity.


I don't think anyone made goal, but a large group rounded the turn point and pushed upwind about 10 km (6 miles).

Amy, Richard, and I stopped for Mexican food in Gainesville, before driving on to Live Oak, Florida where we will launch tomorrow.

Flights: 1, Duration: 3:24, Distance: 41.6 miles

4 comments:

NMERider said...

Thanks for all the flight reports!

NMERider said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rich Cizauskas said...

Thanks for the updates Tom. Wish I was there to fly with you guys. Good luck today (today being the last day of the Rally). Looking forward to flying with you at the ECC. I'm curious to know what you saw that hinted at the impending sea breeze.

Tom Lanning said...

Rich, I saw top-of-lift a ground level around 5pm but still good further east. Usually a good sign of a sea-breeze.