Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Day 4 - Mount Buffalo again

The winds were light ENE today so almost everyone wanted to go back to Mount Buffalo. I pointed out at the morning pilots meeting that no one stuck with the second start gate on the previous day made goal. Heather, meet director, promised to speed things up and Johnny, a member of the task committee, said he would try to adjust the launch and start gate times to give the second half of the field time to get to the starting line.

Our driver Connie, Dean, Jim Prawl, and I arrived at launch before the main crowd. I was assigned a shady spot down in the ravine but there was little room for me, my glider, and everyone else. Several pilots that arrived just as the launch window was opening were whining about where they had to setup. I suggested that they arrive earlier next time. I don't think they were happy to hear my advice!

It was another excellent task. We started in the mountains, flew out onto the plains, and then returned to an airport in the mountains. Once again, the flying and scenery here was simply awesome.

I had a good start with the lead gaggle. We were all together for several climbs but broke into a couple of groups after a needed climb didn't materialize. The top guns pressed on while me and most of the rest went into hunting mode. Once I got back up, I had a fairly straightforward climb, glide, climb, glide, etc. flight under quickly drying clouds. I was flying by myself most of the time with several gliders following behind me. I kept catching and then passing gliders as I didn't hang around when the lift started to weaken and would fly through the next gaggle into stronger lift on the upwind side of the clouds.

I finally lost everyone when I made a gutsy move by diving into the lee (but sunny) back side of Mount Buffalo. I dove into a rock face way back up a gorge. It was a long shallow glide back out. I finally found some trash that was mostly going up and trying to toss me upside down. I finally harnessed the bronco enough to get slightly above the mountain. The top of the mountain is a plateau with lots of strange looking rock formations. I was gliding over this bad lands area with no place to land and a real chance of not making the other side. I enjoyed the drama and the view as I was crossing. (There was not much else I could do at that point!) I dribble in some weak lift until I was sure of reaching the other side. Once clear of the mountain I started my dive into goal. I was almost knocked senseless by a strong thermal on the lee side of a ridge near the airport as I was screaming in as fast as I could. I slowed down after that wakeup call, but still made it into goal with a decent time.

I am really enjoying the flying around here. I like the variety that mountains, valleys, and the plains have to offer. The rock formations, mountain waterfalls, and wildlife are just too cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,
Congratulations on the 10th place finish. You must have beat some of the top pilots. You're lucky I wasn't there...cause 11th doesn't sound as good.hehehe
keep on crankin and bankin!
Later,
Brian B.

Tom Lanning said...

Everyone gets lucky sometimes. I also got to fly mostly by myself which is when I seem to do better. I was leading gaggles instead of chasing them.