Monday, January 17, 2005

Ivanhoe

We headed to the paddock today not sure if we would fly. The sky was blue but the wind was borderline for a comp. (It was fine by my standards). We waited on one tow strip for about an hour and then were told to move to the SW strip. We set up still not knowing if we would fly. Finally a late day (4:15 start) task was called to Ivanhoe. This was the third task to the small airport. Luckily, I know the way.

I passed on the alternate launch today since I wanted to launch drift right into the start gate. Things worked out as planned and I was one of the first half-dozen gliders on course. The thermals were uneven today; some were nice strong 650 fpm while others were weak 150 fpm. I push a little too hard and had to stop for a weak climb while the smarter pilots moved on to a stronger climb. That happened one other time during the 100+ mile flight and it put me almost 30 minutes behind the leaders.

Dustin was the first USA pilot in and I was second. Curt landed just short of goal, Davis a little ways out, Dean back a little further and Kevin landed downwind past the airport. Team USA will take a real hit today with only two pilots in goal.

Davis (and Team USA) protested the results from the previous day. The goal line was not where the GPS coordinates said it would be. It would better for the team to have the day cancelled. I am willing to "take one for the team", but it will hurt since I moved up 10 places with my relatively fast flight. I think the officials will rule on the protest soon.

No comments: