Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Should Have Stayed In Bed Today

Sigh. Some days it is just better to stay in bed than to face the day. Today was one of those days. I got into the alternate launch so I could test fly my glider. The day was blue, breezy, smokey from fires to the south, and a low inversion. The glider seemed to work ok, but a bit stiff. Pilots were sinking out, but I managed to stay in air for awhile but had to land for another tow. I landed and then dropped to my knees from heat and exhaustion. My knee fell on the the high spot of my carbon basebar and promptly broke it. Crap. Belinda rushed to find a spare basebar. The Moyes crew didn't have any carbon bars, but did have an old round one. Belinda and I did a hasty repair job in the middle of the tow paddock and I was ready for the air again. The new "improved" weak links broke and I had to swing around for another go. However, I had to land behind a fence. Belinda helped me once again by lifting my glider over the fence. Ok. Time for another tow. This time weak link broke at a hundred feet. Luckily the cart came out to me and I finally got a full tow. By now everyone was gone. I mean everyone. So I climb to the awesome height of 3500 feet and head on course to the start gate. I have a weak climb and then dribble 17k down the course line. I landed near what I thought was a road, but turned out to be a ditch. I chased the kangroos away from the old water tank and windmill. There were several sheep skeletons laying about, some old pump parts, and nothing else. Went to take a drink and discovered my water was gone! I had no radio contact and only enough cell phone contact to eek out an SMS message. Dean and Belinda soon drove up through the field to my position. Rescued!

Minimal points for today. Any hopes for a resonable showing are probably gone. I also heard that Moyes probably doesn't have any more base bars. I think I'll go to bed and hope tomorrow is better!

The rest of the US team is still out in the field. I hope they did well. (I rode back with Davis and Dean).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

I’m vicariously following your reports. It’s the most flying I’ve done all year! It’s an interesting juxtaposition to a book I am currently reading about the migration of the peregrine falcon from Padre Island, Texas to Alaska. “On the Wing” by Alan Tennant follows the author and a Cessna pilot as they track the bird’s route across North America. If you can get a copy, it may shorten your flight home! Of course you may want to read “Cloudsuck” if you haven’t already. It sounds like the author’s wife has been a real help to you! Please give Davis and Belinda my regards.

Good luck with the rest of the competition and your adventure.

Lee

Anonymous said...

Tom, one of these days you're going to get a new glider that works. Hopefully someone will be nearby with the defribulator. From your posts I can't tell if you're having any fun or not. It's begining to sound like one of those 'adventures' that improves with age once the trauma of the actual experience fades away, though I suspect the fatality is going to be hard to shake for some time. Keep a stiff upper lip, stay safe, have fun, don't choke on any bugs.

Rodger

Tom Lanning said...

No worries mate! I'm having a good time. It is an adventure! The glider problems are a little stressful, but I try to ignore them once I get into the air. Yesterday was disappointing, but still fun.

I had hoped to make goal each day (or at least reasonably close). Yesterday was typically the kind of day I do well at; light broken lift with a fair amount of wind. Sinking out was bad enough, but breaking the basebar just topped things off. Add two weak link breaks and a hope over the fence and I was not the cool, calm, collected pilot you need to be to compete. I still had fun. I had 4 good landings when others where pounding, I got a chance to see the "real" Australia, and I had a chance to hang out with my mates. Anyway, it is much better than worrying about plowing the next snowfall!