Saturday, January 15, 2005

Tip Wands

Marcello asked me to forward more information about the correct installation of carbon tip wands on Moyes Litespeeds. I talked to Johnny yesterday and he told me how to find the backbone of the wand. There are two blue threads that are wrapped around the outside of the wand. The two threads terminate near the small end of the wand. One thread is wrapped one way, the other the other way. Where the two threads "end" is the backbone of the wand. Johnny puts the backbone towards the trailing edge to keep the trailing edge stiffer. Craig puts the backbone up to keep the tips from curving up. Personally I think it is most important to be consistent so your glider doesn't have turns that appear and disappear. I hope this helps.

4 comments:

Marcelo said...

Thanks Tom,
I'll keep this note and try to identify it when I go down to Florida. (my glider is there).
Keep on flying man...
Marcelo

David said...

A picture of Tom Lanning on the Avian and British Blog. http://www.avian.hanggliding.dk/html/AvianOnTour/090105006.jpg

Anonymous said...

Tom, I THINK I get it. I'll look when I next see my diver. But I wonder how useful it all is if the wands can bend one way or the other anyway. Even my latest batch took on a slight bend by the end of last season. Thoughts? PK

Tom Lanning said...

These comments only apply to the newer carbon tip wands, not the older fiberglass wands.