Saturday, January 29, 2005

Bogong Cup 2005 - Finished

Although it looked like it could rain at any minute, the day was not cancelled at the 9am pilots meeting. Instead we were told to come back at 10:30. At 10:30 we were told to go to Mount Emu and get ready to fly. As most of my close flying buddies know, I will fly in just about anything. However even I was wondering "what the heck are they thinking?". There were showers over the hillsides, clouds were below the tops of the mountains, and there wasn't a ray of sunshine anywhere. Oh, did I mention that the forecast called for showers all day? So Davis, Dean, Jim, Oleg, and I rush to call our 4wd taxi driver Brian for a lift up Emu. We even call on the radio when we get to the base to make sure we should still drive up. Even though it seemed obvious that we wouldn't fly, we were also worried about some people coming back down the dirt 4wd road once the rain really started. However, we were told to "keep going", so we did. Once at the top we could see heavy rain over the back, across the valley, and over the next range. We also noticed that the wind was 90 degrees to launch even though it was blowing in a little bit at times. I was worried how I would get back down if Brian left. Finally reality set in and the day was cancelled.

The results have not changed in a couple of days since we didn't fly yesterday or today.

Jim left after we had a quick lunch at the bakery while Dean and I headed up to Bogong village and the ski area for a little sight-seeing. The presentation dinner and awards are tonight. Tomorrow Dean and I head to Sydney.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bogong Results: How Cow, I noticed that a number of people competed WITHOUT a glider, one guy finishing as high as 16th! It’s a strange and mysterious land, that Australia. I hope Tom has pictures of these guys.

Rodger (What?!)