Monday, January 24, 2005

Mount Buffalo

I'm very tired as I write this so excuse anything that doesn't make sense!

We launched from Mount Buffalo today. The setup area is similar to Ascutney, lots of rocks and trees and not a level spot in sight. I had a "choice" spot on a sloping rock overlooking a 50 foot drop off. At least it was in the roasting sun. Thanks to my "mountain upbringing" I managed just fine. However several gliders were ground up, banged up, or scratched to pieces.

The launch over the chasm was simple and easy. However, my score for the day was settled at 9:00 am when they announced no early launching. The start gate was just about open before I even launched. There were only 3 gliders with me at the next start gate 30 minutes later. The day shut down before I could get around the course. The flight was interesting for its variety. The initial climb over Mount Buffalo was quick and refreshing. The climb at the first turn point was also nice. After me and another glider failed to find anything on the way to the second turnpoint I took a right turn for another pass at Mount Buffalo. It took me a few minutes of diving around the bolders before I found another climb to cloudbase. The second turnpoint was tough, especially when I missed a climb that beamed my former "flying mate" to cloudbase leaving me all alone and low. I groveled around until I hit a smooth 1000 fpm to the top floor. That was the high point. I spent the rest of the flight circling in tiny lee-side thermals trying to work my way to the third turnpoint. The day was done, but I still had a long way to go. I did my best light air work and that is why I am so tired. I managed to squeeze out another 40k sliding over the tops of trees, ridge lines and power lines.

The weather should be more unstable tomorrow. I suspect we will go to another new site tomorrow.

No comments: