Saturday, April 17, 2010

Rob Kells Memorial (Day 1)

The day started cloudy and was sprinkling during the pilots meeting that started at 8:00 am.  Steve L reviewed the no-fly zones around the Florida Ridge and other typical flight park procedures.  Davis explained how the task and safety committees would be staffed by different pilots every day.  That should spread the burden and responsibility around so a few people don't spend all week coming up with challenging tasks or keeping everyone safe.

Although many pilots rigged yesterday, my glider was still in the bag this morning.  Around 10:00 am the light rain stopped and the sky brightened.  I was ready to fly even if the day was eventually canceled so I setup the glider and finished just as the pilots meeting started at 11:00 am.

We were assigned a 77 km task to the WNW, then NW, and then W to a small airfield.  The launch opened at 12:30 and the start gates opened at 1:30, 1:45, and 2:00.  Given the abundance of moisture in the air, I decided to launch early and take the first start if possible.


I was the 3rd or 4th flex wing pilot to launch.  I towed through rain on the way to a slow climb with 4 buzzards.  I played around light showers before committing to a very wet climb upwind of the field to the east.  After topping out at 2500 feet (760 m) I flew downwind to join a few other pilots.  It was then that I noticed that most of the gliders on the ground were moving back to the down-tie area.  Bill informed Patrick and I that the task was delayed but not canceled.  Meanwhile we did our best to stay in the air and to stay dry.  This continued until it became obvious that a larger and more ominous line of showers would pass through.  We flew back to the field and landed between showers.

 James



Bill

While some of us raced to pack our gliders before the heavy rain hit, Dustin and Max raced ahead of the showers along course line.  I think they made about 30 km before landing.  I managed to get the battens out and packed and one wing rolled up before the skies burst open.  I stayed dry huddled under another glider but many people were soaked head-to-toe trying to wrap up their gliders.

I found out later that Fellipe heard my radio transmissions while flying around at 5000 feet (1500m) at Wallaby a hundred miles (160 km) to the north.  It was good that I couldn't hear him taunting me about my less-than-ideal flying conditions.

Tomorrow looks rained out.

Flights: 1, Duration: 0:32

No comments: