Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 4

The fourth leg of the rally was Americus Georgia to Eufaula Alabama.  The forecast for today originally predicted brisk northwest winds, but the morning forecast showed light and variable winds slowly becoming west-southwest.  The task committee chose a later-than-usual start since the task was shorter than the previous days and it took awhile for cumulus to form.

I was 3rd or 4th to launch behind Steve piloting the tow plan.  The ride was rowdy from the "get go".  I finally released around 900 feet (300 m) and immediately started climbing to base over the airfield.

Photo courtesy of Alex McCulloch

I soon noticed a glider with a broken keel laying on the ground just in front of the launch spot.  I saw people run to assist the pilot and became worried when the crowd didn't move the glider aside to resume towing.  This usually implies the pilot was hurt and this was the case.  Patrick and then Charlie got on the radio to let know that Julia had crashed and was hurt.  I watched the ambulance arrive as I glided away from the airfield in case a helicopter extraction was needed.  After awhile I was told to land and then told I could stay in the air if I wanted.  A few minutes later I was told to land immediately since the police wanted everyone on the ground before the medical helicopter arrived.

Mitch, Curt, me, and two other pilots did our best to chew down through 5000 feet (1500 m) of air.  The field was still active when we landed, but we all were on the ground and out of the way before the helicopter arrived.  (We found out later Julia was OK, aside from cuts and bruises).

The task committee hastily tried to salvage the day, but it was probably too late to pull off a task that would be fair to all the pilots.  Jamie finally cancelled the day and a few pilots decided to fly around the field.



Some pilots are fashion trend setters.


I parked my glider for the night near an abandoned crop duster.


Bill, Patrick, and I met a small group for dinner in Americus before returning to the airfield and our tents.


We plan to continue our journey tomorrow.

Flights: 1, Duration: 0:33

No comments: