Saturday, May 14, 2011

Flytec Race and Rally - Day 5


The fifth leg of the Flytec Race and Rally was from Americus to Vidalia Georgia.  Any lingering plans to fly to Chattanooga were squashed with souring weather to the west and north.  Instead we turned towards the coast and better weather.

Personally, I've been dealing with an increasingly inflamed shoulder resulting from flying for a couple months without rest.  I thought about staying on the ground yesterday but just couldn't bring myself to pass up yet another day of great flying.  I had to dial back my flying, but still had a great time.


I had a good start but chose a path to the right of course line that initially worked well but left me struggling after a single good climb.  I spent the rest of the flight trying to work off that initial delay.

I had one memorable climb where I spotted an enormous swirl in a wheat field.  I watched three birds head for the invisible dust devil only to turn away after being tossed around.  Of course, I dove for the swirl and prepared for battle.  It was a "all hands to battle stations" for a few moments until I got established in a wicked-good climb.

I shared great climbs and views with many friends along the way.  Many pilots made goal.




We spent the evening sharing stories at a sweet "treehouse bar" in town the dragged ourselves back for much needed rest.

Flights: 1, Duration: 5:13, Distance: 120.6 miles

1 comment:

Jeff Curtis said...

WOW! Nice flight! It has been fun keeping up with your posts.