Monday, May 02, 2011

Rob Kells Memorial - Day 3 - Zero

Luckily I rarely land in the start circle.  Unluckily, today was the exception.

The task was delayed 30 minutes after a small gust front spun a Dragonfly tug and a few gliders in the launch line.  A short while later, the task committee shortened the task about 30 km.  We chilled until it was time to launch.



The launch line was chaotic today as pilots started lining up on both sides of the staging line after receiving conflicting instructions.  I ended up in a line that was stalled for awhile as the other line was cleared.  I watched several gliders land as I waited for the tug.  Oh joy.  James towed me southeast to a large cloud and didn't wave me off as we climbed through the customary height.  I took this as a sign to look upwind for a new thermal the tug pilots could us to drop pilots in.  I cruised all around the cloud and didn't find a single bump of rising air.  I finally turned tail and headed back to the flight park.

I was ready to land when I noticed several pilots turning downwind.  I knew if I missed the climb I couldn't come back to the park but went anyway.  Luckily, I found the bottom of the climb and was spared a quick landing.  I found another climb to the south but was now far south of course line.  I pushed crosswind to the north, floundered in broken lift before pushing even further north to a building cloud.  I was just too low to reach it and had to turn downwind over Mark who landed earlier.  I quickly drifted low over orchards and trees before turning into the strong wind and hovering down to a smooth landing.

A deputy sheriff stopped by to check up on me.  We had a fun discussion about hang gliding including some deprecating comments from me as I compared my performance to the gaggle floating by overhead.

Dave stopped by on his way to pick up Mark and offered me a ride back after picking up Mark, which would spare Bill a long trip to LaBelle to cross the canal.  Thanks Dave!



As expected, pilots made goal and I suspect many others covered most of the course.  Its not pleasant getting a zero for the day, but I had a fun flight and realize that sometimes things just don't work out they way we want them.  Tomorrow is another day.

Flights: 1, Duration: 0:48, Distance: 15 miles

No comments: