Thursday, May 19, 2011

Spring Training Wrap-up

I'm back home watching a cold rain fall from a featureless gray expanse overhead.  It is hard to believe that a few days ago I was in the middle of the "best east coast flying" I've ever seen.  I picked the perfect time for an extended flying safari.  I flew at Wallaby Ranch, Quest Air, the Florida Ridge during the Rob Kells Memorial Competition, and all over northern Florida and Georgia during the Flytec Race & Rally.  I flew 32 out of 55 days and many of the days I sat out were still soarable.  I accumulated 84 hours of airtime, flew over 1200 miles (1900 km), and I've got the tendonitis in my shoulder to prove it!

I spent time in the air and on the ground with many new and old friends from around the globe and created enough memories to fill a room.  Us hang gliding pilots are a strange breed; the variety of people hooked by this sport continues to amaze me.  The only thing more amazing is how this diverse eclectic group comes together like family.

After a few more days of forced rest while this cold (50 F / 10 C) springtime New England rain falls and I'll be ready to take to the sky again; for the season hasn't even started here!

Photo by Steve Pearson

Update: This was my 500th post!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Tom,

Not a bad spring. I wish my desk cold fly as I fall further and further behind the curve I never reached. Now go mow the damn lawn LOL.

Rob

Anonymous said...

OK now you are just rubbing it in.....for the season hasn't even started here!...... That HURTS, kinda like the truth hurts. Actually a few of us had a tremendous day at Equinox recently .... but that's about it really. Welcome back to earth ,,,, I mean home! pk